Not only does May offer longer days with more sunshine and warmer temps, but this is also National Water Safety Month! This is a topic we are passionate about, as the staff at SwimLabs is devoted to teaching swimmers in a successful, innovative and fun environment to learn swimming correctly, safely and confidently.
In Utah, drowning is the 3rd leading cause of injury-related deaths for children between the ages of 1-14. According to the State of Utah, child drowning deaths typically fall into one of three patterns:
- Toddlers (Age 1-4) who are unsupervised and wander away from family
- Teens swimming in reservoirs or lakes with friends or family
- Infants left unattended in bathtubs
In declaring May Water Safety Month in Utah, Governor Gary Herbert noted that although swimming and aquatic activities contribute to physical and mental health while enhancing the quality of life for Utah residents, it is vital residents understand the essential role Water Safety plays in prevention of drowning and recreational aquatic-related injuries.
Water Safety Tips by the International Swimming Hall of Fame include:
- Teaching children water safety and swimming skills early
- Briefing child-sitters and guardians on water safety and adult supervision
- Appointment of a designated monitor to watch over children at social gatherings
- Keep rescue equipment, CPR instructions and a first-aid kit poolside
- Installation of 4-sided isolation fencing surrounding pool (at minimum 5 feet tall) equipped with self-closing, self-latching gates to prevent direct access from home and yard
- Never use floatation devices as substitution for supervision
- Don’t assume you’ll hear someone who is struggling in the water. Drowning is a silent death where often there is no splashing or struggling to alert the individual is in trouble
SwimLabs offers a variety of learn-to-swim lessons including Parent Tot specialized instruction, kids group and private lessons and Adult Learn-To-Swim lessons.
Contact us online, email us at email@example.com or call 801-553-7172 to book a lesson and start your summer off safely!